Friday, July 24, 2009

On Silence

I love silence.

I miss it when I don't have it. That's one of the reasons why I always look forward the summer holidays, and especially the summer boy scout camp.
This year, I arrived on site (near Jindrichuv Hradec) a few days early, and the place was completely free of people (except for one other Scout), cars and sounds I am used to from the city.
And only there, other things come to replace city life.
Birds and sunlight wake you up instead of an alarm clock.
A creek flowing behind our log cabin (not exactly made of logs, but what word would you use?) is the last thing you hear before you fall asleep - instead of cars, buses, trams and trains.
The sound of rain on the roof, which passes unheard in an apartment building, is suddenly a reliable weather forecast (the more it rains, the sooner the sun comes back).
Wind playing with trees all around reminds you of our planet's lungs.
I know silence is near.

And then, the birds take a nap, the winds quiet down, the rain stops - and there comes Silence, my beloved.

We enjoy ourselves. I sit down and Silence is right next to me. I close my eyes and let Silence surround me.

Nobody disturbs us. Peaceful moments pass, one by one. Every one is worth remembering.

Then, without warning, Silence disappears - with a little breeze in the birch trees or a gentle bird song.

My day continues, but now it can't be spoiled - I met Silence in all of her beauty.


Have you ever met Silence?

'Silence is sexy' - Blixa Bargeld, leader of Einstuerzende Neubauten

No comments: